Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bye-bye brass!

I'm NOT a big fan of shiney brass objects. Not. A. Fan. In fact, one of the first "home improvement" projects I made my husband do was change out the tarnished brassy french handles on the doors. They are now a nice, uniform satin nickel. Nice.

But that project ended up being a LOT more expensive than I would have thought. After all, you can't change the handles ($26/each) and leave the ugly brass hinges, too, right? And apparently we have a LOT of doors in our house.

So when I look at our shiney brass ceiling fans, I become a little deflated. I know that you can find cheap-o fans, but the fans we have may be ugly, but they are GOOD fans! I can't justify the expense to replace them.

Hello, Spray Paint.

My best friend.

So while my hubby was out of town this week, I decided to give it a go, and try painting the brassy awefulness that was clinging to the family room ceiling.

I failed to get a true "before" picture, since I was in such a mad rush to get it down, so here's a half-hearted one:
Just imagine it with fan blades :)

And to be fair, this was one of the better looking brass fans, since it wasn't completely brass... it did have that going for it. Also, I liked that because I didn't have to take down the ENTIRE fan for this project. I just took off the blades, the light kit, and the grill thingy.
I taped over all the electrical work with newspaper & masking tape in a very technically exacting method.... uh, sure.
I gave everyone a good coat of primer.
The screws I just threw in a little box, and sprayed while I shook the box a little. Seems to have worked :)

Now, as I was reassembling my masterpiece, I ran into a bit of a dilemna. Since I didn't take apart the whole thing, I realized that the little pull-chain for the fan was still attached within the fan motor part, and there was no apparent way for me to remove it for spraying outside. I couldn't leave it as-is, because it really stood out next to the light nickel.... Enter Grocery Bag Spray Paint Accessory.

Yes, that's right, I grabbed a bag, kind of cradled the little chain inside, and did some blind spraying. Maybe not the most efficient use of spray paint, but hey, it got the job done! And I didn't find any "snow" on the fabric of my couch underneath when I was finished. Nice.

So here she is, with some new frosted shades to replace the dated cut glass ones (please ignore the hideous curly-shirley light bulbs that my hubby is obssessed with. Someday I'll switch them out when he won't notice!):

Sleek!



Linking up to Transformation Thursday at
The Shabby Chic Cottage

9 comments:

Frugal Home Designs said...

So much better. Great job.

Jessica said...

Nice work! My hubby is also obsessed with CFLs. I really had to put my foot down with our vintage chandelier in the dining room. :-)

Ang said...

Looks great!! Loved the painting accessory- great idea. :D

Jessy, Greg, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

Very very nice Fawn. You are amazing! Seriously.

La familia Lew said...

What a great idea! I've been thinking about how to do that with the brass on my fireplace. You are SO brave! There's no way to replace my hardware so I'm really nervous but your post gives me more courage!
~Marlene

Julia said...

Very nice work. I've wanted to spray paint our fan blades forever. Just the blades are this annoying oak laminate. Thanks for your helpful comment by the way. It is so appreciated!

A Little Bit Zany said...

You handle that spray painting business like no one I have ever seen. You need to teach a class. Spray painting techniques 101...write a book....give lectures in packed stadium sized buildings. Lady...you rock!

Melissa said...

It looks brand new! I'm not a fan of the spiral bulbs either. :)

Jenny said...

I have been glaring at our ceiling fans lately as well, wondering if they could be transformed with spray paint. I may now be brave enough to try it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails