Thursday, January 14, 2010

First dresser re-do

I finally finished my first painted dresser. I think it came out well. I had found this dresser on CL for $25. It was a little beat up, and had a handle broken. I liked the lines, but didn't like the flecked-wood look of 1970. I decided it was a good price to try my first painting job. I KNOW I took a before picture, but I can't for the life of me find it. So here you can see at least the corner of it....


I started by removing all the hardware & giving it a good sand. I then wiped with a damp cloth to remove all the dust. I gave two coats of primer, using this:


Yes, I used a foam brush for this. I think it worked out pretty good, actually. Here's after the first coat:

And the second:

I used and Oops! paint I found at Lowes for $2. It's a pretty close match to the blog-celebrity Heirloom White, and it was in a matte finish. I've never worked with a matte finish before, but I really liked it. I like the not-shiney-ness of it. And again, I used a foam brush. It was actually very helpful for getting in the crevices.

Here we are after one coat:

And two coats:


I then gave her a light sand (yes, it's a her... with legs like that, it's got to be a her!)
I then used some leftover paint from my bedroom re-paint, and trimmed in the groves. This was actually pretty tricky, and required the use of my daughter's new Crayola craft paint brush set she got for Christmas. She doesn't know she donated to the cause, since I was doing it while she slept.
I then gave her a light sand,


and wiped her down with a damp cloth.


After making sure it was COMPLETELY dry, I sprayed two coats of Polycrylic satin. It gave it a very nice, light sheen, and should hopefully help to protect it a bit from scratches and dings. Time will tell.


So here she is, happily hanging out in our bedroom:

     







4 comments:

Valley Girl said...

She...looks fancy!!!! I hear ya on spliting up the love...grandma hates it when she "drops by" to visit her grandkids and all she sees is a fancy new dresser...I feel ya sister! Nice work with the new lady of the house, you're right, great lines on that piece.

Olivia said...

I like it! Looks very nice.

Dreams of Perfection said...

Oooh "she" is gorgeous! 1st time nothing...you did great!!! Must've been a fancy painter in your past life. I've always been scared to sand after painting so I've had to deal with the unevenness:o( Thanks for the inspiration! Love it:o) (Oh and I can never paint right with the foam brush, it'll be getting another chance now)

Frugal Home Designs said...

Great job.

Related Posts with Thumbnails